03 March 2012

Night Time Photo Experience in Southampton

This week I did my very first Night Time Photo Experience Evening in Southampton.

11 photo enthusiasts all armed with tripods met me at the Holiday Inn in Southampton for the start of the photo walk.  It being the first one I wasn't quite sure of the timings, but I had a rough plan in my head of where I wanted to go.

Our first stop was on top of the old wall overlooking the Devere Grand Harbour Hotel where everyone tried their hand at long exposure car light images.

The second stop was to set up camp in the middle of the Mayflower Roundabout.  We must have looked a strange sight indeed with 12 tripods all set up...  but it was the best place to photograph the pretty lights that lit up a part of the old wall, so what could we do?

Next up was a short walk up to the High Street where I asked everyone to ditch their tripods, turn up the ISO, and shoot with the widest aperture they had and to hand hold their cameras.  Results differed as everyone had different lenses...  some of the kit lenses are quite slow.  I highly recommend that everyone get hold of a bog standard 50mm lens.  For under £100 it'll probably be the best lens you ever own.

Finally, we ended up in Mayflower Park overlooking the water.  It's the only place I know in the centre of Southampton that is properly dark.  The aim of this part of the evening was to try some light painting.  A couple of people got really creative, drawing stick men with torch light....  Fun stuff!

I didn't have much chance to take photos, but here are a few of my favourites.





No comments: